Sausage, Fresh Fennel, and Onion Pizza
- 1- 12 ounce ball of fresh pizza dough
- 4 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 cup fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds, toasted and coarsely crushed in a mortar and pestle
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- medium-grind cornmeal for dusting
- Dried oregano for garnish
- Flour for rolling dough
- Micro Arugula for garnish (Did you know that Smart Pots are perfect for growing your own microgreens all year long?)
- Place a pizza stone in a cold oven—Preheat oven to 500°. Let the pizza stone heat along with the oven.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage until lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Add fennel bulb and seeds, and cook 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the garlic and olive oil
- Roll pizza dough into a 16-inch crust on a lightly floured surface. Carefully remove the pizza stone from the oven. Sprinkle cornmeal over pizza stone; place dough on the pizza stone. Brush dough evenly with garlic & oil mixture. Sprinkle sausage/fennel mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
Sprinkle mozzarella followed by red onion evenly over pizza. Bake at 500° for 11 minutes or until golden. Garnish with red pepper flakes, oregano, micro arugula and salt.